Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Alice Battles the Complicated: Part I


Shark Week.

The perfect week for bringing together two people.  There is nothing more romantic than watching late night specials about people who almost died from shark attacks.

The best thing is that it worked!  I was actually cuddled up on the couch with a very attractive guy watching people losing limbs in dramatic reenactments.  It was getting close to three in the morning, and although there were other people in the room, all I could focus on was the feel of his thumb stoking the back of my hand.

I was ecstatic, here I was with Babel, a guy that I knew from high school.  He was that “cute older guy” when we were in school together, but now, four years later, he is actually into me!  He came over for a house party I threw while house sitting for my parents who were on vacation, and he outstayed all of the other guests.

Everything was lining up.  He paid attention to me all night, he kept trying to sit next to me, and then he had made the move to put his arm around me and pull me in close.  When Babel was leaving, I walked him out, and he looked at me like he wanted to kiss me.  He didn’t, which I thought was even more endearing.

Sounds like a nice beginning, right?  Here is the problem.  In a week, I will have left my parents’ house to go back to my apartment near my college.  Meaning that, in a week, Babel and I will live over three hundred miles apart.  I hear again and again about how distance never works, but something in me wants to ignore that.

Crap.

-Alice Ambrosia

1 comment:

  1. Distance can work I think. Also, you know it's love if you two can find a romantic bond over people almost dying from shark attacks.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete